The Board of Christian Education (BCE) guides the educational ministry of the church by supporting the children’s church school, confirmands, youth group, adult education, and intergenerational activities. The committee provides oversight and leadership around educational opportunities that encourage and nurture the life-long process of faith formation.
BCE usually meets on the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00-8:30 p.m. Some of the responsibilities include:
- Understand and support the values of the congregation regarding faith formation.
- Plan education activities with an outward-focused perspective to encourage church growth and welcome new members, while building relationship with current members and friends.
- Lend support and encouragement to the staff in their leading of the youth group and confirmation classes.
- Help coordinate children and youth participation in service activities and worship.
- Assist the Director of Faith Formation in the planning of children’s programs, as well as intergenerational events.
- Ensure compliance with Safe Conduct policy.
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment to attract new families, youth and children.
- Committee members guide and support the Director of Faith Formation in planning and implementing the church school programs that serve children from Pre-K to 8th grade.
- With Director of Faith Formation, plan and oversee Summer church school.
- Arrange toddler care with a dedicated child care provider to encourage parents to participate in worship.
- Assist Director of Faith Formation in organizing family friendly worship services such as Christmas family worship service, Christmas participative play, and Children's Sunday.
The Board of Christian Education (BCE) fills a very important role in our church. They support the values of our church regarding faith formation and plan educational activities that encourage church growth and deeper relationships. They strive to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for children, youth and their families no matter where they are on their lifelong faith journeys.
A love of teaching others about Jesus and the Word of God is a wonderful gift to bring to BCE. There are many teaching opportunities for this Board, including our weekly Church School. A desire to serve by helping to organize events, from the Christmas services to 3rd Grade Bible Breakfast, Easter activities, Vacation Bible School and more is another spiritual gift that a BCE member may be blessed to have. Some former members of BCE have said that they not only learn from the children, but they learn from the lessons prepared for the children, as well. Teaching the Word of God to our children is so incredibly valuable and important. If you enjoy working with, and teaching children, or if you have the spiritual gift of leadership – to support and encourage our children, youth and others, BCE may be a great fit for you. Other spiritual gifts, such as knowledge – the ability to know and explain God’s Word, administration – helping with long term goals and remaining on task, or serving by helping in some way are all wonderful spiritual gifts for BCE members. If you are interested in being a part of this committee or would like more information, please contact the BCE Chairperson or the Pastor.